Monday, January 17, 2011

The On-Going Battle

Do you remember Aaron, my oldest son that survived Stevens-Johnston Syndrome in early 2008? It was a battle that many of you long time readers of LAH will remember and again I thank all of you for your amazing support during that awful time. Blogging was fairly new for many of us back then and it was rare for people to reach out for prayer and emotional support but we were so distraught by this relatively unheard of condition that I did the only thing I could think of to get through the ordeal and posted every day here about what was going on. The out pouring from across the world was amazing and again I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.
After a six week stay in the burn center of Detroit Medical Center Aaron was finally released. He was one of the lucky ones that survived such an advanced case of SJS and my heart and prayers go out to the friends and families of those who were not as fortunate and there are many of them.

Well, it is three years later and Aaron is still doing very well and he has pretty much returned to all his normal activities. There are many issues that continue though and his eyes are one of the main ones. Blindness is one that many survivors are faced with as a result of scar tissue building up on the inside of the eyes from the burns which is painful and debilitating.

Aaron's vision has been impacted but he has good vision in one eye, the other one has sever damage to it. Today Aaron, his Doctor from up here, and I are off to Miami to see the next in a succession of many Doctors in hopes of finding a solution.

There are links to the SJS foundation a few posts back and you can click here to the section of LAH about Aaron's battle with this terrible syndrome.

The pictures above are of Aaron. The first one was taken a few months after he was released from the hospital and the one below was taken of him and his daughters the summer before at Kyle & Carries wedding.

Have a good week, and if you are the praying kind, please keep Aaron in your prayers the next few day. I will be back on Thursday with an update.

xoxo
Sue

10 comments:

  1. My love thoughts and prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad he is continuing to mend. I won't take over the counter medications ever again without thinking of him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for Aaron, your family and blessings upon the Doctors and those who search for more advanced treatments of SJS for all who suffer from it's effects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a happy ending! I will keep you ALL in my thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying and thinking about you as you travel. Hoping you will get the information that you need.
    Thankful that Aaron is doing much better!
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That can NOT be Aaron...you aren't old enough for that to be Aaron. WHAT is your secret? Maybe you should be blogging about THAT.

    On a serious note, I didn't know you then, so I wasn't the one of the ones praying for you. But I am one of those saying 'thank you' to Him that made it possible. I mean that in all sincerity. I don't think I say 'thank you' enough to God, and these are one of the times I'll make sure to do that.

    ((hugs))

    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will continue to keep Aaron in my prayers...God is able to meet all our needs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:33 PM

    Oy yes I will pray for your son that the doctor will have wisdom and hope for Aaron and his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Praying for him right now!!

    Lou Cinda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your prayers. Aaron had a good visit with the Dr. in Miami. He was given specific instructions on how to improve the condition of his eyes. They also said that there is no damage to the basic structure of his eyes and that no further degeneration should occur which is very good news indeed.
    He will go back every three months for follow up visits to monitor his progress.
    Thank you again for all your prayers and good wishes.
    xoxo
    Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I so appreciate it when you take the time to leave a bit of encouragement.
Hugs,
Sue