Wednesday, October 07, 2009

An Autumn Tablescape

The mellow tones of Autumn inspired this tablescape. Our mallard and drake Italian soup tureen takes center stage. During the spring and summer it rests in storage but come fall and cooler weather it becomes the centerpiece of our table.

I retrieved my amber goblets from a box in the basement, they came from a junktique shop years ago. The modern majolica asparagus and artichoke are Fitz and Floyd Classics.
The place mat, napkin and solid green plate are from Pier 1. The salad plate is by Mottahedeh and is a reproduction of an English plate circa 1765, in the collection of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.
Here is a closer look at the amber goblets. I like these heavy thumbprint goblets that you can still find in amber, cobalt blue and red. We have the cobalt blue tumblers and juice glasses that we use everyday but I would like to find some red ones for Christmas. My Mother and Dana have some of the red ones, we all seem to gravitate to many of the same things.

These majolica pieces were designed as cream and sugar vessels but they get use more often around here for holding little bunches of flowers or serving jam. The little artichoke has a ceramic spoon that is handy for spreading the jam on a nice warm piece of toast.

Even though this tureen seldom serves its original purpose of holding hot soup, because it is really to big to be functional, it brings back fond, warm memories of fall when the children were small and enjoyed seeing the ducks back for the season.
A lovingly set table is such a welcoming sight to see for family and friends when they come in from a hard days work or after a busy week of meeting the needs of others. What a pleasant tradition that Susan at Between Naps on the Porch has brought back into focus here in the blog world. Thank you Susan for all your effort that goes into providing this venue for us bloggers to help keep the tradition of setting pretty tables for our loved ones alive. Her invitation to join in or just view others creations is a Thursday treat that you might want to take advantage of by clicking over to:








25 comments:

  1. One word---EXQUISITE!! Your table is absolutely gorgeous. The table looks so festive and inviting! Love, love, love it! Great job! ~Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Stunning; and I can see why the soup tureen is center attention - its' beautiful.
    I love the china and the goblets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Williamsburg -- no wonder my eye went right to those wonderful plates! Such a pretty table you've set.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely table! Fitz and Floyd can always be counted on for beautiful accessories and your sweet asparagus and artichoke are certainly no exception.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous. Your soup tureen is just stunning and I love the cream and sugar also. They are really fabulous pieces and do make such a beautiful tablescape. All of your table is put together just perfectly. Your dishes are beautiful. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! That is one gorgeous table! Love the tureen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty table. Those salad plates are so beautiful and so unique. Love the goblets!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pattern is JUST magnificent. How lovely, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Oh what a gorgeous table you've created. That tureen is just fabulous! Everything looks wonderful.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely table. Wonderful ideas. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a plate junkie and wowo I love those bird plates they are so unusual and wonderful...thanks for sharing with me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those plates are to die for! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely table! I love the little bird plates, and that centerpiece is just stunning! Thanks for sharing and happy TT to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the duck tureen, it is just wonderful, thanks for sharing. I am looking for a good soup tureen...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really beautiful table. I love the square placemats and the amber goblets, remind me of some my grandmother had. Thanks for sharing your beautiful fall table.

    ReplyDelete
  16. your tureen would be a big hit at my house. I love tureens and my husband loves ducks! Your table is beautiful. Love the Fitz and Floyd!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your tablesetting! The colors all go so nicely together and I really love those amber goblets!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful table! I enjoyed seeing all your wonderful Fritz and Floyd pieces. They make the most wonderful pieces. The duck tureen is fabulous and makes a perfect centerpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your table is exquisite, the china is wonderful.
    Have a snuggly warm eve. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  20. How pretty! Love the color combination! Great soup tureen, my maiden name is Drake and I like things with mallards like that!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful table. I LOVE your dishes! They are gorgeous!!! Your centerpiece is perfect for the fall season. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so thrilled that you stopped by and that you enjoyed your visit!!! I have been a fan of yours for along time and have spent many hours snooping around your blog...so please feel free to do the same.

    It seems we have alot of things in common...including the Mackenzie Childs collection.

    Thanks again for your visit and kind words!!!

    Have a wonderful evening!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  23. As a dish addict, I have to confess that I'm loving your salad plates & amber stemware! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment. I so appreciate it when you take the time to leave a bit of encouragement.
Hugs,
Sue